Hot and hearty red lentil soup with carrots and greens
It’s great for freezing so you can make a big batch and freeze it in portions for a quick and easy dinner on those I-don’t-feel-like-cooking nights
– 2 large onions (finely chopped)
– 3 garlic cloves (minced or finely chopped)
– 300g red lentils
– 200-250g carrots (grated)
– 3 tomatoes (chopped)
– 70-100g greens (spinach and/or kale – finely chopped)
– 1 vegetable bouillon cube
– 1 tbsp. ginger (minced or finely grated)
– 1 tsp. cumin
– 3½-4 cups (8-10 dl) water
Add onions, garlic, ginger and carrots to a large pot and sauté it for approx. 5 minutes. If it sticks to the pot then add a little water.
Add the cumin to the pot and sauté for a few minutes.
Rinse the lentils and add them to the pot together with the bouillon cube, chopped tomatoes and water.
Let it cook/simmer on medium to medium-high heat for approx. 25 minutes.
Turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes.
Add the finely chopped greens and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve it as is or serve it over rice or boiled potatoes.